As part of the upgrade, London Underground (LU) had a requirement for both installation and monitoring services. Stage one of their requirements consisted of a 12 month period of background monitoring, and stage two is currently in progress with a monitoring provision for both the construction and postconstruction periods, with itmsoil working as a subcontractor for the main building contractor. A number of third party structures are within the zone of influence and need to be monitored for adverse effects of the construction at the station.
These include: Victoria Palace Theatre, Apollo Victoria Theatre, Network Rail Station, John Lewis HQ and various other office blocks, businesses and residences. itmsoil have been able to replicate processes and procedures developed during previous rail projects, most notably Gree Park Station; the VSU project was a natural progression after Green Park’s successful completion. With first-hand experience of NEC3 contracts, it has been easy for itmsoil to adhere stringently to the Construction, Design and Management (CDM) regulations required by the project and a close working relationship with LU has helped to streamline delivery.
instrumentation and monitoring :
- 13 High Precision Robotic Total Stations to monitor movement within the LU station and tunnels
- 5 High Precision Robotic Total Stations to monitor movement of buildings within the predicted zone of influence
- 8 fixed reference prisms outside the zone of influence
- 29 electrolevel beams (2m)
- 5 Liquid level systems
- 8 tiltmeters
- 4 High capacity vibration monitoring systems
- Ground-water pump state recorders
- GPRS radio modems
- Precise levelling points
- ARGUS Monitoring Software